Wednesday 2 July 2014

The Berimbolo Kid's Match of the Week - Week 1 - Michael Liera Jr vs. Jacob Sandoval - Jiu-Jitsu Battle 1

Welcome guys to the first installment in my match of the week series! This series is actually going to take place every Monday, so I guess you could call it Match of the Week Mondays, but I'm not. The only reason I'm doing the first part today is just to get the ball rolling. Every Monday following today, a post will be made.

So, every week I'm going to share with you guys a BJJ match which I like and hopefully you guys will too. I'm going to try and avoid 'classic' matches as much as I can and focus more on matches hopefully some of you have never seen. I want to share with you guys a lot of non-black belt matches but that's not to say black belt matches won’t be featured in this series but just not as often. 

I'd also like to get your guys suggestions on matches for me to look at, so feel free to comment below or on social media.

So without further ado, let’s get into today's match!

The match I want to share with you today is Michael Liera Jr vs. Jacob Sandoval from Jiu-Jitsu Battle 1.

Jiu-Jitsu Battle 1 was a no time limit, submission only invitational event which featured eight of the best purple belts in the world compete in a submission only type environment. 

Michael Liera Jr was considered to be the best purple belt in the world at the time and it was no surprise that he made it all the way to the final. Michael has an extremely effective guard, and is used considerably throughout this match. I have actually have had the pleasure of interviewing Michael and if any of you guys are interested you can find it HERE.

If I had to pick a second favourite out of the tournament I would have said Jacob Sandoval. It's kind of ironic that the two best would meet in the final. In this match Jacob does an excellent job of defending Michael's submissions and getting out of some pretty dominant positions which many others would have been submitted from.

The match is around 30 minutes long, but I enjoy watching this match very much and hopefully you guys will too. 

The video can be found below, and I hope you guys enjoy! See you next week and don't forget to suggest a match!

(If you are viewing on a mobile device, please click HERE)

0 comments:

Post a Comment